Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I'l Be A Quitter Someday Too

Time: 10.39am
Location: Office

I was almost dozing off in my colleague's car last evening when the mention of 'strike at Cityhall' peeled my eyes open once again. Yap, it's the silent protest against the suspension of a famous blogger's column in Today. I decided to check out what he wrote that made such a hoo-haa since the GE.

And I had to admit, I was nodding readily towards his column. Yap, esp. the part where he wrote about 'spending the progress package on shoes' (yes, that part cos a friend of mine did just that)

Every morning when I was on my way to work, I can't help but feel bitter about how things are turning out. Ironically, it has nothing to do with my work. I'm fed up with the hike in prices of cab fares cos now I have to think twice, no, thrice if I want to enjoy an air-conditioned ride to work without waiting a freakin' 20 mins for a non-aircon bus (yes, I'm pampered) I'm fed up that when I surf Jobsdb, all the creative jobs needed someone who not only does graphic design, but does websites, think copy lines and multitasks for a meagre salary. I'm fed up that even the most basic admin job requires a degree, with some specifically mentioning NUS/NTU. Wassup with that!?

I was listening to the radio today and they mentioned that the raise in cab fares will increase cabby salaries by 10percent (if i heard correctly), but from I know, there's not going to be any increase cos the prices of petrol will continue to raise, and the taxi rental fees are not going down... and to make it worse, there'll be people like me who'll think twice, no, thrice before taking a cab, which will lead to a decrease in income for them. Yes, it may have been 12 yrs since the last hike in prices, but then again, right after the GE? Now, that's something to think about.

Designers like me earn very little in comparison to the amount of hours we clock in at work. We have to do soooo many gazillion things and since most of us are in the private sector, the annual increment is hardly something that the HR department will guarantee us. In fact, count yourself lucky that you still have your annual bonus. (yes, I'm counting my blessings) But why issit that we need to have a bloody degree to do design? Isn't the portfolio something more important? And in some cases, why specifically an NUS/NTU degree for a simple admin job? Yes, I do know that we all have to give priority to local Uni, so maybe I'm slapping myself by asking such a dumb question.

What's wrong with our country? Shouldn't we be contented with the peace and harmony? Poverty is hardly an issue here (for most) and we have top notch healthcare workers here. Education is complusory and with education, we're all be able to find decent jobs. So why can't we be contented?

It's probably the education that we're receiving that's making us see more depth in life. We're taught to think creatively, to be an entrepreuner (however u spell that darn word) but firstly, do we have the capital to being with? Nooooo....especially not in my case. We can't stop working altogether and invest all our monies and dreams into a business venture, cos my family still need the monthly allowance. My Mom said that the course I'm intending to do is too pricey for a 1yr thingy (it's close to $16000 which I'm intending to pay myself) but I asked my Mom, I could go for an NTU degree as a 'mature student' and pay the same price, but I'll have to study full-time, which means no work for 4 yrs... she stared at me in disbelief.

Another thing that irks me is the constant upgrading of things. Kreta Ayer market is going through major transformation (for dunno the X#@(*U#(@#th time already) I've read in papers that there were suggestions to 'revamp' Golden Mile Complex cos it's been an eyesore to drivers. But seriously, why do we need everything to look spotlessly clean and new? I was totally against the whole idea of knocking away the old National Library. There was so much character in it, and so many memories for people who loved that old red-brick building. Yes, Kreta Ayer Market may have been quite stinky at times (hey, it's a market!) but there were lovely cheap bargains, nice nock and corners for us to discover. In fact, I like it there. It's not so commercialised and you get to immerse yourself in the rich culture of Chinatown. So WHY! WHY do you have to change such a charming place!? *sob.

Therefore, I have every intention to go global. I don't need to go to the States or any European countries, I'l be happy in Cambodia, where perhaps, the simpliest things can make one smile. So there ya go, I'l be labelled as a quitter someday.




6 Comments:

Blogger ケリオ said...

Actually, market forces will balance out their salary eventually. (ie, less people will take cabs = their salary stays the same) This is just a prelude to what may come, I'm afraid. And also, I fully agree on the upgrading thing. Why're they spending our money tearing down nostalgic areas? Why not just clean it up and I dunno, invest in floral-scented floorwash?

Dissent is slowly spreading among the citizens...think it's only a matter of time, even if they manage to silence the media, dissent continues. You can only bend so hard before it snaps, eh?

And just so you know, most of the Minister's sons and daughters, including SM Goh's (who coined the "Quitter" term) daughter, are "quitters". In other words, We aren't allowed to go without being disgraced...unless we're them.

Some animals are more equal than other animals, apparently.

7/11/2006 2:38 PM  
Blogger Ying said...

bunny: yah, that's why i read somewhere that they're going to 'do something' to restrict this 'country-slamming' thing on blogs...so yeah, let's all remain anonymous..please call me Anonymous Wonderwoman from today onwards:)

k: If I can be an animal, can i be a puppy in Lee Dynasty? Oh wait...humans are considered animals too right? Ok, now I wan be human in Lee Dynasty..hehe

7/11/2006 3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... The glass is half full.

7/13/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Ying said...

*shocked* didn't noe u're an optimist Ian...

7/13/2006 12:51 PM  
Blogger ケリオ said...

I can be optimistic too!
Let's see, they're going to tear down the old buildings we hold dear but aren't 'historical', they're going to ship our parents overseas, taxi fares have risen, train and bus fares in the next few months, the gap between incomes is getting larger, it's getting harder to stay relevant due to the saturation of the job market...Hmmm.

Well, at least Singapore will be clean when I run to my full-time job as a toilet cleaner to support my drug habit.

7/13/2006 7:41 PM  
Blogger ケリオ said...

Must lock the door after they go in. Charge $0.10 for entry...$120 for exit. It's like watching Singapore's transport rates in fast forward.

"What, no money? Then eat shit and die! Bwahahahaha! *snorts cocaine*"

Also, apparently what I said about the market forces pushing the cabbies' salaries to a mid-point has come true.

7/15/2006 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home