My Cambodia Diary Part 2


By the time we were ready to leave (the sun was already up and rising), there were still tonnes of tourists around...probably still wondering why they didn't manage to capture the sunrise. Nevertheless, it did make me wonder whether the royal family from 1000 years ago get to enjoy that spectacular view every morning, and what they were thinking while sitting at the steps, feeling all serene and watching the sun rise, welcoming a brand new day.
_____
While getting ready to leave, my camera showed the dreaded sign 'LOW BATT'. I had little choice but try to get some spare ones from the locals. I had 2 in my other bag which I've forgotten to bring out...and I'm so peeved with myself.
The locals tried to sell me 2AA Energizer batteries for USD5. That's like...daylight robbery! Despite constant haggling, they still refused to reduce to USD2. So I left. Damn, no way am I buying at that price.
Afterwards, Sophal drove us to the Terrance of Elephants. It's kind of like some viewing gallery, I can't be sure, but there's no tall buildings or drastically high steps to climb. What we saw were large sculptures of elephants and birds, both I believe were meant to represent gods for them. I read later that the birds were meant to possess strong powers and mighty strength.. that kind of explains the following picture.

After we explored the monuments, Sophal introduced to us a large 'pond'. I know really know how to describe it exactly. It's like the size of a swimming pool, but there's like 2 of them, and it made them look more like reservoirs or something. Sophal explained that there were used as baths for the queen and perhaps the concubines of the king. Woah.. doesn't anyone peep?
But anyway, we saw 2 boys fishing there, and out came the candies I bought with me. I felt like Santa Claus...I like. The fishes that they caught could be sold in the market, and apparently, they're worth quite a bit.

I love this picture... the clear blue skies at the background makes the tree seems like it has a character of its own.

Then, this sight behold me. (Think it's called Pi Mean Akas Temple)I had to climb up them. I think the older I got, I seem to be less gutsy. In fact, I didn't dare look back as I climbed up the flight of steps...

before

after (I'm on top!)
Sophal has this interesting habit of greeting almost everyone he sees, so we ended with a group of China tourists that he had met and chatted with. Which is good, in a way, 'cos they hired a Chinese-speaking guide who gave us a brief introduction of the buildings around us. There were some interesting details he gave, like how some of the structures were used as dams, but what puzzled me were the intricate carvings they had on the exterior... hmm, why do you need such details when it's going to be covered by water?
But anyway, I pity the guide too, 'cos the Chinese tourists were a little demanding, and seem to hound him with questions that perhaps only a historian can answer.
Along the way to our next destination, Prasat Neak Peen (their reservoir), Sophal stopped over for a toilet break, and I took the opportunity to snap some pics of these lovely kids. I think the boy's really cute, and his name is Lee, if I remembered correctly.

We dropped by another temple and honestly, I can't quite remember the name. I think it's Ta Sor.This temple was where they kind of honor the queen. Sophal actually showed us a little-known corner where they had this sculpture of the queen and where locals actually placed offerings for her. Further in a hidden corner, was a sculpture of the Queen's sister. Hmm, I really ought to go read up on the history of Cambodia.

While Sophal was concentrating on praying, Rachel and I wandered off on our own. Well, sometimes, we were just looking for a little adventure, so I guess having him with us may not be as 'adventurous' as we wanted.
As we walked towards the end of the temple, we were crowded by children selling their wares. Once again, my 'magic-wand' of candies and stationary appeared, and you should've seen their faces. I was plesantly surprised that even teenagers as old as probably 15-16 were thrilled by the little gifts I had. When I was taking their pictures, they even asked if they looked handsome...:)

Some of them asked me for paper. I think I shall bring some next time.
When we walked out, Sophal was nowhere to be found. Thus, Rachel and I just went to the nearby restaurant and shared our lunch. (Prior to that, I bargained from another vendor for the batteries...which he tried to sell me for USD3, but I managed to haggle to 1.75, I think. Well, I'm sure he's not happy, 'cos Rachel heard him grumbling, but oh well, I'm Singaporean.
To be continued...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home