Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Have We Moved On or Have We Changed?

Time: 9.57am
Location: Office

I haven't quite complete my Cambodia journal... but there's simply too much to write that I think I'd probably have to take a day leave from work to just write it. I'd definitely get it done...just a matter of when.

Just that something else evoked this feeling in me and I had to write it down.

When old friends meet up, the usual topics often revolved around the recent happenings or sometimes, the nostalgic pasts. It just seems normal and almost, mandatory to talk about those things. But when do we talk too much about the past that it gets.. too much?

How do I put it? I used to have this group of friends whom I would thought would've been my friends for life. We'd probably hang out till we're forty, sipping high teas at some high-end hotel after shopping at LV, with our well-manicured tai-tai fingernails and chauffeurs waiting at the lobby.

Of course, fast forward ten years and it's quite apparent that those are not going to happen anytime soon. Esp. since I've yet to snagged myself the long-waited prince of Brunei or some oil tycoon. But the thing is, one of my friends from this clique seemed to have been stagnant all these years when the rest have significantly moved on. She ended up in a job that no one would've ever expected her to be in. When we questioned why, she insisted that that was what she wanted to do. She was always the one who'd bring up the topic of 'good-ol-days' when others just want to move on and talk about the current or the future. Ironically, she was probably the one whom we all would have thought to be the tai-tai today. She had the looks that swooned the boys over back then, and she seemed charismatic enough then.

But today, she's still her. Just the same girl from school but older, though not necessarily wiser. It did occured to me that perhaps she's just happy to reminisce about the past, afterall, it's her once glorious days. But the fact is, we've all moved on...and she's still there, thinking she's way ahead of the rest of us.

I wondered whether the rest of us have changed and therefore, we really can't be bothered to 'entertain' her anymore. I'm not exactly sure if that's the case. When we work, we get exposed to so many different situations and people that somehow, our mindsets seem to ... revolutionised (if there's a word like that)

Have I changed? I think I've just moved on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home