Friday, March 28, 2008

The Definition of Happiness

Time: 3.38pm

Boy, am I lazy or what... I'm supposed to be rushing some work but once again, I poured upself a cup of Orange Juice, cuddled up to my red cushion and decided to blog.

I've been binging recently, which is VERY BAD...not sure if it's because I'm a little stressed out with school work, work and some misc. projects I'm handling now.

Anyway, I'm supposed to write a report on globalisation and we get to choose our own topic so I emailed my lecturer to ask for permission to write about (drum-roll pls)...

"Will Globalisation Bring Happiness to People?"

Yes, it may sound vague for a start, and it's such a vast topic, but I'll be focussing on writing about people in Bhutan (people with so little, but are genuinely happy) and comparing them to those in Singapore (people with so much in life, but often unhappy).

It all happened 'cos I came across this quote, "The Grand Essentials of Happiness are something to do, something to love and something to hope for."

Boy... I'm breathless for that spilt second when I read it.

(Mr. Wrong's definition is, "Happiness is beyond contentment, and it's beyond not having what you want, but enjoying what you have and in turn, make it what you want." )

If going by my quote, I should be Happy. I have something to do (or make it, plenty to do), something to love (I love my family, friends and all those dear to me), and something to hope for (I am preparing for convocation, as well as JET programme in near future). But somehow, I feel that Happiness is not just merely all those mentioned above.

I'm happy when people I care about are happy. It's almost as if there's this qi that will inevitably affect how I feel. I feel happy when my students flash their mega-watt smiles at me for doing well in their tests. I feel happy when close friends tell me they're happy in their new jobs. I feel happy when I see how my brother's face gleam with excitement about the arrival of his first child. (Talking about my niece/nephew to be...I'm positive he/she'll be like me... my sister-in-law's eating all the food I love already!)

The thing is, I feel that I don't live for myself, but for other people. I don't like to burden other people with my woes. It's like, if you're sharing to a friend how you feel about life and all, I guess it's ok, but if you're constantly troubling someone else with your problems, and that person simply has no power to help you change anything... aren't you imposing your worries to others as well? Which explains why when I'm with certain friends, I say only certain things, and not everything that's going on in my life.

Maybe it's because I'm a Scorpio, and Scorpios are known to be secretive and mysterious, therefore, I actually keep a lot of secrets to myself...things that not even Jen, or my mom would know about. (They're the 2 closest people in my life)

Perhaps everyone's definition of Happiness is different. Some people ask for wealth , others ask for health (esp. if they're currently ill), and then there's those that ask for love.

I think the author of the quote forgot to add this line in when he came up with it, "The Grand Essentials of Happiness are something to do, something to love, something to hope for, and being able to spread and share the Happiness with someone too".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home